Thursday, May 1

The L Magazine's 8 NYC Bands You Need To Hear (In 2008)

I finally got around to skimming the The L Magazine's 8 NYC Bands You Need To Hear issue. Here is a quick review of the bands featured (with links and when available, mp3s).

High Places have been buzzed and blogged about for awhile now (47 posts here). I am really liking them, although as I was listen to them the other day I was told by a fellow listener "I don't think I could listen to too much of this. It is too cute." AND this from someone who likes Psapp. I digress. Drrrr.
Listen to some experimental tweedub: "Golden" (box.net mp3)

Representing the grittier Todd P/SUCKAPANTS-y contingent of NYC bands is Team Robespierre.
Listen to their electropunk: "88th Precinct" (mp3)

The one band that was selected that I had not heard but am now pretty excited about is The Lisps. Dig their indie folkrock chops.
Listen: "Pepper Spray" (mp3)

I was also interested to read about Violens, who sprang from the corpse of Lansing-Dreiden. They are definitely are coming at it from the poppier-less-proggy side of things this time.
Listen to something "Sunnier": "Violent Sensation Descends" (mp3)

If you are going to use a cookie name for a band, I personally would go with Hydrox, and not Famous Amos. Anywhoo... you can stream some of their songs @ their Myspace. Listen to "Everywhere", then if you like, pick up their album @ Sound Fix.

Just the band name, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, sounded so very very twee I could taste the cute in my mouth. But hey, they pull it off.
Listen: "Doing All The Things That Wouldn't Make Your Parents Proud" (box.net mp3)

Then there is the catchy indie pop of This Is Ivy League. Not for me... maybe for you??
Listen: "London Bridges" (mp3)

And lastly, La Strada who are often compared to a certain band named after a certain Middle Eastern city and I ain't talking about Yazd. Listen to them at the Myspace.

AND HEY The L Magazine, what about these bands??

Indie rockers, Susu.
Listen: "Hands Up (The Race)" (box.net mp3)

Pyschpop'ers, Flying.
Listen: "Minors" (mp3)

Postpunkers, Motico (who need to start playing some shows damnit).
Listen: "The Wandering Jew" (mp3)
(If you're worried about the title, don't. They're like 80% Jewish).

Consider Clicking
- ROCK MATH! Postpunk + New Wave = Cut Off Your Hands/Split Endz. Listen: "Shark Attack (Split Endz Cover)" (mp3)

- Let the 90's Nostalgia Begin!! I'm gonna bust out my decaying Pavement tshirt and listen to some (not all, ughhh don't think I could) of captain's dead 90's mixes. Part 1... here. Part 2... here. Two more parts to come.

- Where do I go from my Lips And Ribs? Why XXJFG, of course... here. Also with Deathsquad and Hour Of Worship

- Former Test Icicle, Lightspeed Champion does Daytrotter... here.

- Here's a "Free Sampler of new Asthmatic Kitty Artists" (zip). More about that... here. I can't stop listening to Ermasse track: "Courez Courez" (mp3)

- There is a vid of my favorite White Williams song "New Violence" @ Stereogum... here.

- FSRN has a "May Day Special" (mp3) about workers around the world.

The L Magazine's 8 NYC Bands You Need To Hear
The L Magazine's 8 NYC Bands You Need To Hear
The L Magazine's 8 NYC Bands You Need To Hear

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bob reich said...

The Shins. That's who Violens reminds me of, I just could not put my finger on it before. Thanks SJK.

5/01/2008 10:02 PM  
Blogger bob reich said...

High Places signed to Thrill Jockey!

5/01/2008 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home