Friday, December 28

The 47 Best Downloadables Of 2007

I know, I know you've been waiting. You want to download the some of the best songs of 2007 and simply don't know where to turn. The massiveness of the internets is overwhelming. Fear not. I have complied the best downloadable songs from GT this past year.

And yes, some of these songs were not officially released in 2007. So what? As for ranking, these songs are arranged using the power of the alphabet! Oh, don't be so obsessed with ranking things and just enjoy.

A

"Aly Walk With Me" (mp3 with a plug at the end of it) by The Raveonettes
Comment: Atmospheric + Wall Of Noise + Big Beats = Quite Kickass. Check out the Ruby Isle cover... here.

"Attitude (Misfits Cover)" (box.net mp3) by Mika Miko
Comment: My favorite Misfits cover since Bratmobile did "Where Eagles Dare" (ysi mp3)

B

"Babies" (mp3) by Jana Hunter
Comment: When is Jracula putting a proper album out? Wait have they? Fuck! Huh?

"Black Mirror" (mp3) by Arcade Fire
Comment: Why does this song always make me think of Lost Highway?

"Bomb.Repeat.Bomb." (box.net mp3) by Ted Leo + The Pharmacists
Comment: Wins the GT 2007 Award for Best Political Song. Watch the video... here.

C

"Capricornations" (mp3) by Mika Miko
Comment: You never forget your first Mika Miko song.

"Chromes On It" (mp3) by Telepathe
Comment: Looking forward to a full length.

"Cold Hands" (mp3) by Black Lips
Comment: The Black Lips doin' what they do.

"Crimewave" (mp3) by Health
Comment: Uberblogged band Health rip it up.

D

"Dead Sound" (mp3) by The Raveonettes
Comment: When will JAMC stop influencing bands? Not bloody soon, I'll tell you that.

"Don't Touch My Shit" (mp3) by The Coathangers
Comment: Don't Touch My Shit. Awesome.

"Drippy Eye" (box.net mp3) by Black Moth Super Rainbow
Comment: This is my cat's theme song. Is this your cat's theme song too?

"Dumb Luck (Remix)" (mp3) performed by DNTEL remixed by Low Scores
Comment: I like this more than the original.

E

"Evergreen" (mp3) by Celebration
Comment: Soundtrack for the end of the world.

F

"Flying To You" (mp3) by Unlove
Comment: Booming and anthemic, but not released this year. Fuck it.

"Fractured Skies" (mp3) by Parts & Labor
Comment: The postmodern postpunk anthem. Wins the GT 2007 award for Best Use Of A Dot Matrix Printer In A Song.

G

"Get Hurt" (mp3) by NO AGE
Comment: Sounds just like Wives... [snicker].

H

"Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse" (mp3) by Of Montreal
Comment: C'mon Chemicals... annoying and wonderful, at the same time.

I

"(I'm A) Donkey For Your Love" (mp3) by BOAT
Comment: Catchy as all... well you know.

"It Fit When I Was A Kid (Remix)" (mp3) performed by Liars and remixed by Crystal Castles
Comment: This song is like... ok, what if... Liars were cyborgs?? huh?

J

"Just As The Day Was Dawning" (mp3) by Big Business
Comment: You could say their sound is as "Big As A Mountain" (ysi mp3)

K

"Knowledge In Hand" (mp3) (source: myspace) by The Forms
Comment: Runner up for Song Of The Year.

M

"Mr. Prison Shanks" (mp3) by Made Out Of Babies
Comment: Fuck. Heavy. Fucking Heavy!

"(My Head)/R.I.P. Allegory" (mp3) by Times New Viking
Comment: Ohio Rocks! Warning... this is LOUD.

N

"Nobody" (mp3) by The Willowz
Comment: Sounds like a contradiction, but The Willowz total filter 70's arena rock through punk, and it works.

"No One Does It Like You (Demo)" (mp3) by Department Of Eagles
Comment: Best Grizzly Bear-related song this year. The Girl Talk wamp-wamping "Knife (Remix)" was a close second.

"North American Scum (Dunproofin's Not From England Either Mix)" (mp3) performed by LCD Soundsystem remixed by Dunproofin
Comment: Almost makes me proud to be a North American.

"Not A Problem (Live)" (mp3) by The Black Lips
Comment: The Black Lips put out what may not be the best live album ever, but it's realllly close. Maybe it is the best live album ever. I don't know.

"Now I've Got A Sword" (mp3) by The Muggabears
Comment: Love that Bayside shout out.

P

"Pace Or The Patience" (mp3) by Love Of Diagrams
Comment: I can't believe I'm not sick of this song. I love it. I listen to all the time.

"Pinkies" (mp3) by The Big Sleep
Comment: What was it I heard someone call The Big Sleep? Bedroom Metal. That's it.

R

"Rafaga!" (mp3) by Apostle Of Hustle
Comment: Wins the GT 2007 Award for Spanish Song Sung By A Canadian Band!

"Run To The Facts" (mp3) by Yea Big + Kid Static
Comment: Wins the GT 2007 Award for Best Use Of Samples From An Unreleased Album.

"Run To Your Grave" (mp3) by The Mae Shi
Comment: Run!

S

"See A Penny (Pick It Up)" (mp3) by YACHT
Comment: Awhh... come on. Who cares if it's "Miss You" in Jona clothing? Not me.

"Screendoor" (mp3) by Illinois
Comment: Don't forget to check out their Daytrotter Session... here.

"Sharpshooter" (mp3) by The Mary Timony Band
Comment: Mary's still got it.

"So Post All 'Em (Instumental)" (mp3) by YACHT
Comment: I've had it up to here with all those words. Bahh.

T

"The Pyramid" (mp3) by Love Of Diagrams
Comment: Slightly slower awesomeness.

"The Underdog" (mp3) by Spoon
Comment: The Song Of The Year.

"They Might Follow You (Demo)" (mp3) by Tiny Vipers
Comment: Haunting.

"To Fix The Gash In Your Head" (mp3) by A Place To Bury Strangers
Comment: Uhhh... When will JAMC stop influencing bands? Not bloody soon, I'll tell you that (again).

"Too Cute To Puke" (box.net mp3) by Mika Miko
Comment: If you didn't hear me say it on The Contrast Podcast Festive 50, this track is pure energy.

"Truck" (mp3) by The Octopus Project
Comment: Theremins are punk.

U

"Underwater (You And Me)" (mp3) by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Comment: Ok, I admit it. This is not my favorite Some Loud Thunder song. This is: "Yankee Go Home" (ysi mp3)

V

"Veni Vedi Veci (Remix)" performed by The Black Lips remixed by Diplo
Comment: Black Lips + Mad Decent beats = This.

W

"We Are Gods! We Are Wolves!" (mp3) by Le Loup
Comment: My eyes rolled the first time I saw the name of this track... then I heard it. My eyes later issued a rolling retraction.

"Witches Vs. Wolves" (mp3) by S-S-S-Spectres
Comment: The name says it all.

The End. More next year. And don't forget my previously look backs at 2007... here and here.

My post entitled Top 11 Downloadables That Were Not Freakin' Everywhere in 2007 is coming soon. It will be anagramed thusly... t11mp3twnfe2007.

Preview: "Luxury Condos For The Poor" (mp3) by Double Dagger
Comment: [you have to wait for that]

The 47 Best Downloadables Of 2007

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

drippy eye is also my cat's theme song.

12/28/2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger bob reich said...

Totally!

1/23/2008 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home